The first three chapters in this book--Animal Dangers, Natural Dangers, and Human Hazards--describe what to do in a total of 24 specific emergencies. The fourth chapter, Basic Survival Skills, has 14 important tips on emergency preparedness and survival skills.
Each crisis is summarized on a double-page spread with 1-2-3 what-to-do checklists, Fast Facts, Life Savers, Did You Know, and If You sidebars, and margin notes. The book's eye-catching design features brilliant full-bleed color and dynamic action photographs.
The life-threatening scenarios include:
- What to do if you are bitten by a snake
- How to escape from a bear
- What to do if you are chased by bees
- How to survive a hurricane
- How to avoid being struck by lightning
- What to do if you are caught in a food
- How to escape from water in a car
- How to escape from a burning building
- How to avoid being crushed in a crowd
The Survival Skills include:
- Planning a trip
- Using a penknife
- Finding food
- Making a shelter
- Making a fire
- Tying knots.
Children like to feel in control. Knowing what to do in the case of an emergency increases the chance of survival and it also reduces fear. Even if readers never venture beyond the front door, they will enjoy Ultimate Survival Guide for Kids.
About the Author
Rob Colson is an author and editor of a wide range of books for children and adults. Previous titles include Ultimate Cars and Puzzles, Conundrums and Enigmas.