Not in Store - Usually Ships in 2-7 Days from Warehouse
Handpicked by Amazon kids' books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime Book Box – a children's subscription that inspires a love of reading.
This immersive, award-winning novel following the story of Quijana, a girl in pieces, is now available in paperback.
One-half Guatemalan, one-half American: When Quijana's Guatemalan cousins move to town, her dad seems ashamed that she doesn't know more about her family's heritage.
One-half crush, one-half buddy: When Quijana meets Zuri and Jayden, she knows she's found true friends. But she can't help the growing feelings she has for Jayden.
One-half kid, one-half grown-up: Quijana spends her nights Skyping with her ailing grandma and trying to figure out what's going on with her increasingly hard-to-reach brother.
Quijana must figure out which parts of herself are most important, and which pieces come together to make her whole.
This is a heartfelt poetic portrayal of a girl growing up, fitting in, and learning what it means to belong.
• Lyrical middle grade debut from author Rebecca Balcárcel
• A diverse and family-centered story that resonates with anyone who remembers, or is going through, growing pains
• Inclusively embraces real life experiences with biracial, autistic, and gay characters
• 2020 Pura Belpré Honor Book
• A Junior Library Guild Selection
• ALSC Notable Children's Book
• 2020 Jean Flynn Award for Best Middle Grade Book
• 2020 Spirit of Texas Reading Program Recommended Title
• Tweens and teens
• Bilingual and bicultural readers
About the Author
Rebecca Balcárcel received the Jane Kenyon Poetry Prize, and her work has appeared in journals such as the North American Review. She is an associate professor of English at Tarrant County College. She lives in Bedford, Texas.