BEST BOOKS FOR BABIESBest Books for Babies is an initiative developed by Beginning with Books - Center for Early Literacy in an effort to highlight the importance of reading to babies. Research has proven that a child's first years are critical to language development, reading to infants is one of the best ways to encourage that development.
Each year,a selection committee comprised of early childhood and literacy experts review books for babies published in the prior year. The committee looks for:
- Age-appropriate subject, format, and theme
- Clear, uncluttered illustration Distinguished writing (when applicable)
- Easy physical manipulation Interactive potential
The goals of the Best Books for Babies list are to:
- Assist parents, teachers, and others in selecting outstanding books for the babies in their lives
- Highlight the importance of sharing books with babies
- Honor publishers, authors, illustrators, and designers who create outstanding books for our youngest children
- Encourage the publication of more high quality books for infants
Bold, colorful shapes on white board pages introduce children to familiar garden sights in two languages, English and Spanish, from dirt (la tierra) to vegetables (las verduras).